Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Peace to the World

I have heard people say not to marry someone thinking they are going to change because they won't. I thought they were just talking about BIG things, but as it turns out, they were also referring to the spouses' wardrobes. When the husband and I were dating, we would sometimes go running together. One day he showed up at my dorm wearing pink and brown plaid shorts with an elastic waistband. It was hard to focus on the jog when all I kept thinking about was the shorts.

We got married, and I semi-secretly gave away his prized shorts believing that I had indeed changed him. He stopped wearing the shorts, and he even stopped donning socks with scandals. Then he found it, a trophy shirt that perhaps rivals the shorts. I had to lay the ground rules. You may only wear this inside the apartment when we have absolutely no guests. Yes, other family members count as guests. This shirt says, "Peace," which I approve of, but the word is spelled out in rainbow letters that look like they came straight from the seventies. The only consolation is that he can't simultaneously wear both the peace shirt and the plaid shorts.

Yesterday, I was antsy to take Watson for a walk, and the husband wanted to come along. The only problem was...his attire. The peace shirt. I love his company, so I made an exception. As we were walking down the street, I was waiting for someone to take our picture for a fashion don't spot. At least my eyes would be covered by a thick black line of secrecy. Then an older lady walking in the opposite direction passed us. She started, "I like..." I was thinking the ending of this statement was going to be, "I like your dog." This is the most uttered statement when we go for a walk, but she surprised us both when she finished it by looking at the husband and uttering, "your shirt." I guess I will have to give peace a chance.

4 comments:

deedma said...

Please subscribe me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I love your blog! I like how you list books you have read recently. You should check out this website: www.whatshouldireadnext.com

Peace!

Lisa said...

Russ...Consider yourself subscribed.

Rhonda...Thanks! I will have to check out that site. I have been choosing some books from the book, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die. I have enjoyed many of their selections. BTW- VJ and I loved the videos of Zoe.

yajeev said...

To be completely accurate, the shorts were purple and brown. I would never wear pink and brown shorts... that's a terrible combination.

Just sayin'.

I wish I still had those shorts... they'd go really well with my peace shirt.