Friday, July 18, 2008

Wise Counsel for Adventurers...Mostly Me

Today my adventurous spirit hit an all-time high quickly followed by an all-time low. Watson, my black lab, and I set off for our first hike out of our new book, 50 Hikes in Connecticut. We were going to see Hublein Tower, Reservoir 6, and the barbecue pit that once cooked General Eisenhower's dinner. Impressive. We actually did accomplish all of that (the aforementioned high); it was the return trip that seemed a little more challenging (the low).

I learned a few lessons:
1. Even if you think you know where the trail should take you, continue to follow the trail markers. I thought a saw another trail that was going more the direction I wanted to head, but the results were quite muddy not to mention a little bloody. Watson and I ended up tangled in a mess of sharp bushes and marshy water when he looked at me with an I-told-you-so glare.

2. When you see a trail marker you are supposed to follow and the next one doesn't match, turn immediately around. I continued on just thinking the trail-blazer must have gotten lazy when he/she forgot to put the two red dots with the blue line on the next couple trees. We pressed on (in error).

3. Bring as much water as you can possibly carry. You would think I would have learned this from my parents when we went on a 26-mile hike and ran out of water about half way, but alas, I did not. I brought two big water bottles for Watson and me. He "accidentally" knocked his bowl over and proceeded to lay down in his mess. Our Adam's ale did not last much longer in the heat.

4. When you end up at another state park, call for help. I actually did this one. Poor Watson was no longer bounding in front; rather, it was almost as if I was pulling him onward through hot molasses. That is when I decided to humble myself and admit to my husband that the direction goddess was indeed fallible.

Fortunately, the husband located us. We crawled toward the car hoping it was not a mirage, whispering agua, agua. I hope I learned my lesson. Watson and I were sitting on the couch resting and recuperating when I started reading about the Ragged Mountain Trail. I can just see my next post; "1. If the word ragged is in the title of the trail, normal unragged people should not attempt to traverse."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing ventured - Nothing gained! Go for the Ragged Trail. You may look ragged when you are done, but you will have made a memory... and have a new blog post! (You know you can never underestimate the importance of those!) And remember Never Leave the Trail! (But you know what? That's not always true. Sometimes - with some fore thought an planning, of course! - you need to venture on a new unmarked road to reach your destination!) Have fun with the next 49 Trails!

Lisa said...

Thanks anonymous. Just in case you were wondering, instead of moving on to a new trail, I tried the one I didn't complete again. This time we made it back to the car without calling for help! What an accomplishment!